Thursday, September 3, 2009

Coconut and Walnut Baklava

Baklava is so yummy. I'm into anything with a good crispy crunch. I've had my share of Baklava in Greece and Turkey, and they were all delicious. The delicate layers of Baklava and combination of sweet honey is really a dream. Baklava is also one of hubby's favorite desserts, so I had to try my hand at making it myself.
I thought that phyllo dough might be hard to come by, but all of the ingredients were easy to find at my local grocery store. Once I got the hang of handling the delicate dough, layering the walnut mixture and dough was quite fun. Hubby is also a big fan of coconut so I added some for a chewier texture. The baklava came out perfect! My friends and I ate them all up.

COCONUT BAKLAVA RECIPE

Ingredients:
1 cups walnuts (chopped)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup sweet cream butter, melted
1 package phyllo pastry, thawed
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
chopped pistachios for topping

Directions:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 35o degrees.
2. Mix the walnuts, coconut, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Brush the bottom of a square baking pan with butter.
4. Butter each later of the phyllo dough and layer 4 sheets at a time then add walnut mixture and repeat the layers until you use up all of the nut mixture and dough.
5. Slice the baklava into small squares with a sharp knife.
6. Bake in for 25-35 min until golden brown on top, make sure you check on it often because phyllo dough burns easily.
7. For the syrup: bring the water, sugar, and cinnamon to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add the honey and simmer for another 2 minutes.
9. Pour the syrup over the baklava when it comes out of the oven and decorate with crushed pistachios.
10. Let the baklava cool for a few hours and let they syrup seep in before eating.

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Scrrrumptious!!

Rhyleysgranny said...

I have never made baklava. After seeing yours I must change that. Looks delicious.

maybelle's mom said...

i have never made baklava but I do love it.

Chow and Chatter said...

oh i love bakalva great job

Anncoo said...

This is so yummilicous!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm also into anything with a good crispy crunch! Looks perfect!

My Taste Heaven said...

Your coconut and walnut baklava looks so yummy to me~!!!

Joanne said...

I adore baklava but have always been intimidated by it's many layers. You make it look easy though! I love the addition of coconut. In my opinion, a little coconut is never a bad thing.

Kevin said...

Great looking baklava!

ti.are said...

Hi,

the recipe mentions sugar and cinnamon twice in the method but only once in the list of ingredients. so should the amount listed be halved, some with the walnut mixture and some with the honey mixture at the end or????Thanks

Blog Widget by LinkWithin