Thursday, September 24, 2009

Osaka's Rising Sun

The upside of jet lag is waking up early enough to watch the sunrise. On our second day in Japan, we took the bullet train to visit grandma who lives in Osaka. Normally we stay in a hotel, but on this trip we stayed in a fabulous ryokan (a Japanese style inn) called Kaze no Mori. I woke up before 5am and I went to take a dip in the Onsen before anyone else woke up. It was so relaxing to take a warm bath outside with the cool air on my face, just watching the day begin.
Since I was the only one in the baths, I took a photo before anyone showed up. Ahhhhh I absolutely love onsens. On this short trip to Japan we went to onsen 3 times and in those 3 days I took at least 10 baths. That's how much I love onsens.
The other great thing about staying at a ryokan is the meals. Most places serve up a traditional Japanese style breakfast and dinner. At this particular ryokan in Osaka, we enjoyed a full spread of a Japanese breakfast.
I was so content to eat such wonderful food for breakfast!
They even gave us natto (my favorite).
The meal had fish, eggs, various pickles, rice, miso soup and yudofu (which is a very simple dish of tofu simmered in a kombu dashi).
So delicious, so relaxing. It felt like a true vacation.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

oh those baths, that is exactly what I would be doing. how I, and my bones, love the warm waters.

Chow and Chatter said...

wow what a place, enjoy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin