Monday, October 19, 2009

Dragon Fruit

My friend was serving this beautiful and exotic looking fruit at his house warming party that I attended. I have never seen or eaten anything like it!
He told me that it was called Dragon Fruit. Dragon fruit, formally called Pitaya is the fruit from a cactus originating in South America. This fleshy fruit was amazingly sweet with crunchy little black seeds like the kiwi fruit.
On my recent trip to the Farmer's Market I discovered another variation of Dragon Fruit with a hot pink flesh! Dragon fruit contains high levels of vitamin c, calcium and phosphorus and lots of antioxidants. I don't know why I've never had this fruit before, but I'm officially hooked!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I have nnever had dragon fruit..sounds yummy

Rhyleysgranny said...

I have seen dragon fruit but have never had the courage to try it. Your pics have inspired me :)

Chow and Chatter said...

oh looks pretty must look for one of these

FlyinBear said...

you are welcome =P

3 hungry tummies said...

i love this fruit but can be a little expensive here in melbourne

Blog Widget by LinkWithin