Monday, March 22, 2010

Homemade Pasta SUCCESS!

My first time making pasta from scratch was a success! (Quite the confidence booster after that homemade bread fail). I had some help from a friend who is a experienced pasta maker, so that made a big difference. I envied her Kitchen Aid attachment for rolling pasta, so my siblings bought it for me & pasta drying rack as a Christmas gift! It was so sweet of them, but I just didn't get around to trying it out until now.Making pasta was surprisingly easy and so much fun! Unfortunately, I didn't have a pasta cutter so we cut the pasta with a knife. It didn't really matter because it doesn't change the flavor and it made it that much more homemade-y. Only 4 basic ingredients go into making pasta.

BASIC PASTA RECIPE
Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water

Directions:
Basically, you just knead all of the ingredients together until consistent. If the dough is too dry, add a little more water. Roll through the pasta roller, cut, boil and bon appetite! Having a pasta drying rack is so helpful because otherwise the noodles would just clump and stick together. The pasta came out delicious! It tasted so fresh, and elegant. I had my pasta noodles covered in artichoke tomato sauce with scallops and shrimp. I don't know if I'll be making homemade pasta every time I want spaghetti, but I'm definitely going to be making good use out of my pasta roller from now on. I'm thinking lasagna and ravioli next!

4 comments:

dawn said...

wow look at you! i need a lot of patience for this. that whole drying thing you know.

Bridgett said...

Congrats on your successful attempt! Fresh pasta is the way to go and I find the whole process relaxing for some reason. Looks yummy!

Leslie said...

Homemade pasta ROCKS! I need to get a drying rack!!!

Krissy said...

great job on making homemade pasta! a little bit of effort and work really pays off when you eat it! it's nothing like dried pasta!
krissy @ the food addicts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin