Friday, January 28, 2011

Bolinhos de Bacalhau

Oh, wow. Loooong time no post.
Life gets busy with an infant around! I've still been cooking and trying new recipes once in a while, I just haven't been getting around to blogging about it.
This week I saw some salted cod at the local market. Salted cod (Bacalhau) is a Portuguese staple and it's not so easy to find in grocery stores so I was very excited when I found it. My Portuguese hubby really seems to appreciate it when I make Portuguese dishes for him.When I bought the fish, I didn't really realize what a hassle it would be to make it! I had to soak the cod fish for 24+ hours and change the water every 3 hours (or whenever I remembered).
It was definitely a time consuming dish but it turned out quite nice! Very similar to the bolinhos de Bacalhau that I've had in Brazil and Portugal.
Bolinhos de Bacalhau Recipe

Ingredients:

- 18 oz. Bacalhau (Dried, salted Cod)
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cups cooled mashed potatoes
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tbsp. chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- oil for frying

Recipe:
  1. Place salted cod in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Place in refrigerator and soak for 24 or more hours, changing water every 3 hours or so.
  2. Drain and cut the cod into small pieces.
  3. In a pot, combine 2 cups water, peppercorns, bay leaf and onion quarters. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add cod and 2 cups cold water. Return to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
  4. Drain cod, discarding spices and onion. In large bowl and using a fork, flake the cod. Stir in mashed potato, eggs, green onion and parsley. Let mixture stand for a half hour before forming fritters.
  5. Form cod mixture into balls. In batches, fry for 4 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Kenneth Copeland

Davy SW said...

mm, sounds good. we love cod.

Carolyn said...

Looks good! Thanks for the fab recipe.

Homeowner Insurance

Blog Widget by LinkWithin